Re: Large HTTP GET/POST timeout

Subject: Re: Large HTTP GET/POST timeout
From: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 15:20:18 -0400
Chris Paul wrote:

> > > You have to change the mtu value on the end of the IP tunnel that
> > > initiates the tunnel,
> > > ie, the real server. In this instance, a windows 2000 box.

Hasn't windows stopped supplying ipip on their newer OS's?

> > really. I would have thought you'd have to set it at the director. I'm glad
> > you
> > straightened me out. Do you know why setting the MTU for the route on the
> > director
> > doesn't work?

> I dont honestly know,

Presumably you can set the MTU at either end and both ends should figure it out.

Julian,

        Is the kernel on the director still responsible for this problem? Is it
supposed
to be fixed?

        Why is the default MTU for ipip packets 1480, rather than
1500+overhead_for_ipip=1520?
Is 1500 a hardware buffer size limit in the NICs? (ie hardware buffer=1500?)

SAIC, Supporting the EPA Research Triangle Park, NC 919-541-0007
Federal Contact - John B. Smith 919-541-1087 - smith.johnb@xxxxxxx