Re: Large HTTP GET/POST timeout

Subject: Re: Large HTTP GET/POST timeout
From: Jacob Coby <jcoby@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 10:49:23 -0400
Casey Zacek wrote:

At the time, I was running kernel 2.4.25 (IPVS 1.0.10), but since
upgraded to 2.4.26 (IPVS 1.0.11), then 2.6.6 (IPVS 1.2.0).  I have
asked the customer to retest it, but he'll have to talk to some of his
users, from the sound of things, since he upgraded his router
firmware.  I'd love to chalk it up to "client router problems," but
that probably won't be good enough for this customer.  It worked using
a Riverstone smartswitch router running what equates to LVS-NAT, but
it does not work with this LVS-Tun setup.

I could test for the problem reliably by using ping with a packet size > 934. 934 and lower worked fine. Once I bumped it up over 934, I'd see Must Fragment (MF) ICMP messages being sent, and the ping request would have no response. As I lowered the MTU, the size of the ping that would cause the problem lowered in direct proportion. A 1500 MTU would cause a 935 byte ping to fail, a 1400 MTU would cause a 835 byte ping to fail, and so on.

Any HTTP GET or POST over that 934 byte payload would cause the site to not respond.

--
-Jacob
Listingbook.com