RE: Large HTTP GET/POST timeout

Subject: RE: Large HTTP GET/POST timeout
From: "Chris Paul" <Chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 11:43:14 +0100
Casey,

The problem is one I am only too familiar with.

It is caused by the linux kernel not taking into account the size ipip tunnel
headers when sending traffic over an ip tunnel.

Basically, the MTU (maximum transmition unit - the largest size ov packet than
can be sent over a network) is normally 1500 bytes. With the IP header
information this drops to 1492 so the largest size of packet that can be sent
of an IP link before the packet get split into multiple packets is 1492 bytes.
When you use ipip tunneling there is an additional header that takes the
maximum transmition size through the link to somthing like 1480. Linux kernel
2.4.??? does not take into account this additional header and sets the mtu for
the ip tunnel to 1492. So if you send a packet that is between 1480 and 1492 it
gets truncated rather than split into multiple packets. The ip tunnel
destination then waits to recieve that rest of the packet which it never does.
The result is the server never responds.

When I was having this problem it was a nightmare because you can not guarantee
it will fail. It only fails when the packet size is very specific and the size
of the header is also large.

To fix this you can either.

1. Upgrade to kernel 2.6.???

2. Change the MTU values on the director.

I solved it by changing the MTU values, but it was nearly a year ago now I a
can't remember exactly which ones I changed, ie, the RIP on the director, the
tunnel from the director, or the tunnel from the real server.

If anyone can put some light on which one needs changing that would be very
helpfull as if we need to re-install I will be stuffed!

Hope this helps.

Chris