Re: Large HTTP GET/POST timeout

To: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Large HTTP GET/POST timeout
From: Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 01:10:47 +0300 (EEST)
        Hello,

On Thu, 27 May 2004, Joseph Mack wrote:

> > > IPVS: ip_vs_tunnel_xmit(): frag needed
> >
> >         This message means that the IPVS box decides to generate
> > ICMP errors to request reducing the packet size. May be these
> > ICMP messages are filtered somewhere and do not reach the client.
>
> So you're saying that the icmp message is between the director and the client?
>
> Why then is is a ip_vs_tunnel_xmit
>                        ^^^^^^

        ip_vs_tunnel_xmit tries to prepend IPIP header but
notices that the resulting packet with DF flag set will exceed the
PMTU(director->RS) limit, so it decides to generate ICMP error
instead of xmit-ing the packet to the RS.

> tunnel problem?

        You can change it to:
"ip_vs_tunnel_xmit(): fragmentation needed but DF set"

> What messages would you get if the icmp problem was about the link between
> the tunnel realserver and the director?

        Messages from the same type but we do not handle this case yet,
so setting proper PMTU in director for the route to the real server
is a good idea.

> Joe

Regards

--