Re: Large HTTP GET/POST revisited (and solved)

Subject: Re: Large HTTP GET/POST revisited (and solved)
Cc: lvs-users-bounces+mack.joseph=epamail.epa.gov@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Graham Purcocks <grahamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 17:21:09 +0000

Mack.Joseph@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Joseph Mack PhD, High Performance Computing & Scientific Visualisation
LMIT, Supporting the EPA Research Triangle Park, NC 919-541-0007
Federal Contact - John B. Smith 919-541-1087 - smith.john@xxxxxxx

lvs-users-bounces+mack.joseph=epamail.epa.gov@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
wrote on 03/11/2005 11:13:12 AM:

can you give me a reference? Which 2.6.x kernels have it?

I honestly have no idea.

there's not a word about it in the 2.6.5 Documentation directories
(grep'ed for mtu, tunl, tunnel).

I have LVS setup on a version of 2.4.20 and had to change
the MTU values to prevent the problem.

When I was investigating, I was told (by a non LVS bod)
there is a bug in the IP Encapsulation code in most
versions of the 2.4 kernel where by when negotiating the
MTU for the IP tunnel it does not take the overhead of the
tunnel into account.

this sounds like what we've got.

Still someone had to work out how to handle it in windows too.

Not necesarily. I had similar problems with VPN tunnels and Windows XP SP2 in that it didn't negotiate the MTU correctly when I upgraded to ADSL. I had to change the MTU in the VPN virtual IP stack. There were some tools to work out the correct value. So Mr Gates may well have exactly the same problem.

It is very difficult to reproduce. The bug only occurs if
the packet is a very specific size. From my testing, even
source and destination IP address makes a difference.

let's see how Casey did it