Re: Large HTTP GET/POST revisited (and solved)

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Large HTTP GET/POST revisited (and solved)
From: Casey Zacek <cz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 13:47:58 -0600
Mack.Joseph@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote (at Fri, Mar 11, 2005 at 09:59:21AM -0500):
> lvs-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 03/11/2005 01:21:46
> AM:
> > The real problem I've always had is that
> > I've never had a means for duplicating it (possibly because I didn't
> > fully understand the problem -- I can probably duplicate it at will
> > now),
>
> OK how do you duplicate it?

Attached is a piece of PHP (lvs-tun-test.php) that'll do it.  The
"submit" query will timeout if you are experiencing the problem.

In order to force yourself to experience the problem, you need to
forcefully ignore icmp fragmentation-needed packets.  I am able to do
that on my home network with a simple iptables rule on my firewall:

iptables -I FORWARD -p icmp --icmp-type fragmentation-needed -j DROP

Now, I browse the lvs-tun-test.php through LVS-Tun, and click submit,
and it just hangs and times out.  tcpdump shows the expected results.
Then I change the MTU on the loopback interface on the real server
(It's a Win2k box) using regedit, then disable and re-enable the
loopback adapter via the network properties, then click submit again.
Poof, it works.

--
Casey Zacek
Senior Engineer