RE: Load balanced mail system

Subject: RE: Load balanced mail system
From: Graeme Fowler <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 20:04:22 +0000
Hi

On Thu, 2005-12-15 at 11:49 -0800, Mark wrote:
> I assume we are only talking about incoming mails - outgoing should not eb a
> problem, right?
>
> How about having a distributed file system (DRBD or redhat's "Global File
> System (GFS)") distributed over 2 or 3 servers to keep the
> mailbox files, and then having LVS POP clients access those?

My day job sees me working for an ISP; we have a number of mail systems
where we use multiple frontend servers (some behind LVS, some using
other methods) with NetApp Filer backends offering mail storage over NFS
mounts to the real/frontend servers. They handle SMTP, POP, IMAP,
Webmail (and other things not necessarily mail related) but store the
data on common NFS mounts.

Yes, there are well-documented issues with "mail on NFS" but that
usually happens with shared SMTP server spools rather than IMAP/POP
systems. We haven't had a problem yet; the filers are very reliable (and
good if they do go wrong on rare occasions, too) and the platform scales
out nicely.

YMMV, of course.

Graeme