Re[2]: Load balanced mail system

Subject: Re[2]: Load balanced mail system
From: Alex <alshu@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 23:07:30 +0200
>> That sounds exactly like what I mean. Haven't heard of NetApp yet,
>> however. Do you know if the same could be done with DRBD or GFS
>> (Redhat/Fedora), or do those work differently?

GF> Significantly differently at the layer where the filesystem lives, yes.

GF> I looked into the option of using GFS recently for a specific job and
GF> decided that the convenience of ordering a pair of clustered
GF> "appliances" - whether NetApp, EMC, whoever - with the built-in failover
GF> and fault tolerance won out against building something from the ground
GF> up with GFS, even if the costs were higher in terms of capital layout.
GF> For me to do something with GFS would have required far more dev time
GF> (and therefore extra, "hidden" cost). Plus I have little SAN experience,
GF> and no SAN infrastructure for that job.

    I can't advise real solve this problem, but may be this two links
will bw interesting.

    http://www.coda.cs.cmu.edu/ -

Coda is a distributed filesystem with its origin in AFS2. It has many features
that are very desirable for network filesystems. Currently, Coda has several
features not found elsewhere.
  - disconnected operation for mobile computing
  - is freely available under a liberal license
  - high performance through client side persistent caching
  - server replication
  - security model for authentication, encryption and access control
  - continued operation during partial network failures in server network
  - network bandwith adaptation
  - good scalability
  - well defined semantics of sharing, even in the presence of network failures

    http://oss.oracle.com/projects/ocfs2/ -

OCFS2 is the next generation of the Oracle Cluster File System for Linux. It is
an
extent based, POSIX compliant file system. Unlike the previous release (OCFS),
OCFS2 is a general-purpose file system that can be used for shared Oracle home
installations making management of Oracle Real Application Cluster (RAC)
installations
even easier. Among the new features and benefits are:
  - Node and architecture local files using Context Dependent Symbolic Links
(CDSL)
  - Network based pluggable DLM
  - Improved journaling / node recovery using the Linux Kernel "JBD" subsystem
  - Improved performance of meta-data operations (space allocation, locking,
etc).
  - Improved data caching / locking (for files such as oracle binaries,
libraries, etc)

    Alex