Re: Keepalived Director failover, LVS-TUN

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Keepalived Director failover, LVS-TUN
From: Graeme Fowler <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 15:36:02 +0000
On Thu 09 Feb 2006 15:03:32 GMT , Matt Chan <engineuity@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I added the track interface into my conf, but there was a never ending loop
that occurred when restarting keepalived:
<snip>
The entry:
vrrp_instance VI_1{
 state MASTER
 interface eth1
 #lvs_sync_daemon_interface eth0
 track_interface{
   eth1
 }
 virtual_router_id 51
 priority 100
 smtp_alert
 advert_int 1
 virtual_ipaddress{
   x.x.x.208/32 dev eth1
 }
 notify_master "/sbin/masterState.sh"
 notify_backup "/sbin/backupState.sh"
 notify_fault "/sbin/backupState.sh"
}

You want the track_interface to be the *other* interface, not the same one. If you have "interface eth0" then the "track_interface {..." must be eth1, and vice-versa.

Running debian, pretty stock 2.6.8-2-686-smp...I dont have it. Any ideas why
the notify scripts wont run?

Hmmm... no.

However: As you're running an SMP kernel, if you're using a P4 with Hyperthreading (or indeed a dual-proc system) switched on then either turn HT off or boot with a uniprocessor kernel. Keepalived has been known to have problems with SMP systems, which can be worked around by either doing as mentioned already to go uni-proc, *or* separate the VRRP and healthcheck daemons by running two separate instances with the right options.

Graeme