RE: Is LVS a solution for a renderfarm

Subject: RE: Is LVS a solution for a renderfarm
From: "Axel Dunkel" <ad@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 20:36:43 +0200
Jason,

> Can LVS take any application that would run on a single
> machine and run it from the LVS machine with a cluster of
> machines in the backend?  Or does the application have to
> have support for LVS built in?  I know rendering is very CPU
> intensive.  Does LVS work well with CPU intensive apps?

LVS can balance network connections to a bunch of servers very effectively -
but not much more. It does not balance computing power etc., just tcp/udp
connections using various scheduling algorithms. If you are looking into
balancing CPU intensive processes, something like openMosix
(www.openmosix.org) might suit your needs better.

Best regards,
Axel Dunkel

  Axel Dunkel
  Geschäftsführer

  Systemberatung Axel Dunkel GmbH
  Philipp-Reis-Str. 2, D-65795 Hattersheim
  Tel.: +49 6190 889-0
  Fax: +49 6190 889-399
  eMail: ad@xxxxxxxxx
  http://www.Dunkel.de/