Re: Web Stats on LVS?

Subject: Re: Web Stats on LVS?
From: Clint Byrum <cbyrum@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 04 May 2006 11:58:04 -0700
We used mod_log_spread for about 6 months at Adicio, Inc. We were
pumping 4-8 million hits per day, reaching rates of 600-1000 hits per
second at times, across 8 servers through it. I even submitted a few
patches and we paid the author, George Schlossnagle, to enhance it to be
more robust for us.

We gave up on it ultimately, as the underlying toolkit, spread, wasn't
scaling for us. We'd have a little network blip on one machine, and the
whole ring would stop working for 5 minutes. Server loads would go up
retrying, and retransmitting, error logs would be flying. It was a real
mess.

Ultimately we needed to do some tuning that involved recompiling the
spread daemon. I gained a deep understanding of the spread protocol, and
decided it was far too complex for this purpose.

We've gone to a system now where logs are written locally using the
program 'cronolog' and once per hour they are collected via NFS export.
It works pretty well, though it was nice to have one big log file.