Re: Web Stats on LVS?

Subject: Re: Web Stats on LVS?
From: Graeme Fowler <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 04 May 2006 20:03:33 +0100
On Thu, 2006-05-04 at 11:55 +0200, Lasse Karstensen wrote:
> I tried compiling mod_log_spread a few months ago, even found a
> apache2 patch on some mailling list, but without luck.
>
> Anyone succeeded using it with apache2?

Yes, although I no longer have access to either the slightly modified
codebase or the production results. It worked well, however, shared
between 8 servers with a pair of collectors. There was a slight lag to
log processing as each listener piped the log arrivals through a Perl
script (running in a "while (<>)" loop), did $magic with them, and put
them in the right users' logfiles.

> Which is the solution we are using now. What kind of scaling issues
> are you predicting? We're having 10-12 realservers now, with some
> moderate amounts of traffic.

I'm saying that having each realserver act as a logging host for all the
rest won't scale. Beyond a pair, having a dedicated syslog host (or
indeed more than one, for robust logging) is the way forward, as you
say.

Graeme