Re: Potential Opportunity to Validate LVS for use with Seibel CRM

Subject: Re: Potential Opportunity to Validate LVS for use with Seibel CRM
From: Mark de Vries <markdv.lvsuser@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 23:38:07 +0200 (CEST)
On Tue, 26 Sep 2006, Dave Augustus wrote:

Hello Joe,

No, you don't know me and I don't know you. I have been on this list for
many years and you and others have helped me many times. :)  My
involvement with Linux goes back to 2000 with Redhat 6 and I am an avid
promoter of open source software.

see http://archive.linuxvirtualserver.org/html/lvs-
users/2002-12/msg00103.html

We currently have a 6 node LVS in production- since 2002 I might add.

By opportunity, I don't mean to sound threatening. We have been using
LVS since 2002. And it has worked great. My goal is to help the project
-to give back to the project.

The opportunity exists in the potential of getting Seibel to validate
LVS as a 3rd party source of load-balancing.

This may be fruitless but the *positive* side of this would be:

- the attention that it gives the LVS project.
- the savings to companies in not having to purchase other products
- recognition that LVS is ready for prime time

It's got my vote. I work for an ISP and we use LVS (almost) exclusivly for loadbalancing.

6 active/passive director pairs (with hearbeat for failover) balancing for some ~40 real-servers.

Aside from one problem balancing UDP (for DNS servers) it's never failed us. That problem was that the connections where not expired, and it would run OOM and crash unless we did a preemptive failover & reboot. (Which meant we could still run the service without 'customer impact'.) That problem was fixed in approx 2 weeks or so after my initial report here on the list. Fastes BUG-fix I've ever had, from any 'vendor'!
+It even got me my name in the kernel changelog (2.6.12-rc5 IIRC) :)

We started using LVS because we couldn't settle the argument over who should maintain de loadbalancers, us - the sysamins of the stuff behind them - or the network dept who thought they should do it because it was networking equipment....

So we (the sysadmins) made a "business case" for LVS by exagerating some requirements we knew they could not meat with the (then) current loadbalancers and could be met, easy and cheap, by using LVS. Management bought into it and we started (carefully) introducing LVS. We've never had any reason to consider using anything else for loadbalancing ever since.

Thanks to all who contributed.

Regards,
Mark.

I realize that this may or may not be what you as a project leader want.
Help me out here.

Thanks,
Dave Augustus