Re: Potential Opportunity to Validate LVS for use with Seibel CRM

Subject: Re: Potential Opportunity to Validate LVS for use with Seibel CRM
From: Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 16:43:10 -0700 (PDT)
On Tue, 26 Sep 2006, Dave Augustus wrote:

see http://archive.linuxvirtualserver.org/html/lvs-
users/2002-12/msg00103.html

we're lucky to have Ratz.

The opportunity exists in the potential of getting Seibel to validate LVS as a 3rd party source of load-balancing.

I still have no idea what "validate" means, but a few others today on the mailing list seem to know. Does Seibel look for buffer overflows, bench test it?

What does "opportunity" mean? You're going to push LVS through validation? (presumably this costs money).

Does Seibel know LVS is GPL?

What happens when each new kernel comes out? Does validation have to be done again? Will one implementation of LVS be Seibel-ized and that's the one the commercial people will have to use?

After it's validated, does someone have to keep looking after the validation (to make sure it doesn't expire)? If that's you, what happens if you go off and become a NASCAR driver - who takes over?

To whom does validation make a difference? - apparently at least you and two other people on the mailing list. Does Seibel's validation mean anything to anyone else?

I hope this gives you an introduction to my ignorance on the matter.

This may be fruitless but the *positive* side of this would be:

- the attention that it gives the LVS project.
- the savings to companies in not having to purchase other products
- recognition that LVS is ready for prime time

I realize that this may or may not be what you as a project leader want.

I'm just the person with the most spare time :-)

Some people in the Linux world are most concerned that Linux be accepted by the commercial world. I'm not one of them. However where I work you just can't set up a linux box: it has to be RedHat Vx.y.z with every config file specified. It takes about 3 months to even get clearance. This drives me up the wall. Will validation help people wanting to set up an LVS in a business?

Help me out here.

Until a few hours ago I didn't know Seibel validation existed. I need to know more.