Re: LVS cluster and vmware server

Subject: Re: LVS cluster and vmware server
From: Graeme Fowler <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2007 13:02:53 +0100
On Fri, 2007-06-01 at 13:33 +0300, Erol YILDIZ wrote:
> Thanks for the answers. First of all I am new to the clustering
> technology and trying to understand how it works. Thats why I can ask
> funny questions, =)
>
> What I ment is creating a supercomputer by  using a cluster of
> computers(for example 7-8 physical servers) and on this supercomputer
> installing vmware server or vmware esx and using vmware installing guest
> OS es either windows or linux. Is this possible?

It still isn't entirely clear where LVS would fit into this, Erol.

Would you, for example, then run Apache and/or IIS on the guests and use
those as realservers? Or are you talking about something else?

LVS isn't "clustering technology" in the same way that VMWare, HP SSI,
Beowulf clusters and their ilk are. LVS is an intelligent router,
allowing you to make a group of servers appear as a single entity to the
clients accessing it. It's most commonly used for services like web,
email, DNS, RDP and so on (although the possibilities are endless).

Graeme