RE: LVS cluster and vmware server

Subject: RE: LVS cluster and vmware server
From: "Gary W. Smith" <gary@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2007 06:20:12 -0700
> I am running a LVS pair using keepalived with just over 20 mixed
> windows /
> Linux hosts in 10 clusters all running over 3 VM ESX servers.
>
> Each server has 16 cores, 64 Gig of memory and multiple bonded Gig
> NIC's
> with all the OS's living on a shared 4Gig SAN fabric.
>
> It performs very well and has meet all requirements in terms of both
> performance and Availability and offers great flexibility.
>
> As is always the case with VM ware you must ensure you have enough I/O
> and
> memory to meet the needs of all the virtual hosts or overall
> performance
> will be miserable.

We also run several of instances in VMWare as well. We have separate
disks for the OS and the guests, which helps with the disk bottleneck.
As for the performance, our VM's are limited to single CPU's so the host
general has plenty of CPU time to do its work.

We've been running this configuration for some time now (two years?,
don't remember when the first one was put up but I do remember we were
using Linux-HA 1.0).  Anyway, we really haven't had any problems at all.

OTOH, we have had problems with Xen clustering, which other people have
claimed works better.  But in our case I think it's the underlying
distro.