Re: [lvs-users] Keepalived + LVS-DR not working [SOLVED]

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] Keepalived + LVS-DR not working [SOLVED]
From: Gerry Reno <greno@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2007 22:24:36 -0400
Bingo! I was just ready to go get the examples from the HOWTO when I got
it working with a suggestion from Rob. Thanks Rob. :-) He said I should
check the VIP on the Real Servers. I thought I had these but when I
checked there were no VIP entries for the Real Servers. So I added them
and immediately the cluster started working. But in debugging all this I
have a some more questions.

notify_master/backup/fault question:

The example LVS-DR that I copied to start with made use of the
notify_master script technique. Here is the script that is called:
#/bin/sh
case "$1" in
add) ip addr add 192.168.1.240/32 dev lo brd + scope host; ;;
del) ip addr del 192.168.1.240/32 dev lo; ;;
*) echo "Usage: $0 {add|del}"; exit 1; ;;
esac
exit 0

What exactly would be the benefit of notify_master/backup/fault and this
script. It just puts a VIP/32 on 'lo' for the backup director and delete
the VIP/32 from 'lo' for the master director. Is this necessary? I mean
wouldn't you just need to let keepalived move the VIP/24 from one
director to the other and not worry about anything about VIP on 'lo' for
directors? If there is no benefit then I will remove it. Now running the
script on the real servers I can see and that is what I did to get
things working.

Schedulers question:

To test I am using the 'rr' scheduler and sure enough the accesses are
bouncing from one real server to the other. But this is occurring even
when I am in a session. Is there no session 'stickiness' with the
schedulers?

Gerry