[lvs-users] no VIP up on real server? was: Re: arp problem with 2.6.X re

Subject: [lvs-users] no VIP up on real server? was: Re: arp problem with 2.6.X red hat kernels?
From: Dan Yocum <yocum@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2007 12:32:16 -0500
All,

I'm lost.  Things have... changed since I last used LVS back in '02/'03.
Like someone has re-arranged the furniture and I can't quite figure
out what has moved.

I've spent several of days reading through the HOW-TO, the mini-HOW-TO,
and the configure script perldocs and I can't, for the life of me,
figure out a) why my LVS-DR *is* working and b) why I can't connect to
127.0.0.1 on the real servers without specifically allowing connections
to lo in iptables.

On the director, the VIP is up and running.  On the real servers, it
isn't - not on eth0, nor on lo - and yet I _can_ connect from a client
to the VIP and I get directed to a real server.  Watching tcpdump on the
director and the real server I see the packets get redirected on the LVS
to the real server and the real server back to the client.

So, here's where it gets weird: if I disable the transparent proxy on
the real servers, I can't connect.  Joe says this shouldn't work, yet it is.

I've also configured arptables according to the HOW-TO, but since the TP
is in place, it's probably hard to tell if they are working correctly.

So, the questions I have are these:

Why don't I need to bring up the VIP on the real servers? Is this
normal?  Is this expected?

And why can't I connect to 127.0.0.1 on the real server without
specifically allowing connections with iptables?

I put the lvs.cf, director and real server iptables, and real server
arptables in the following directory for people to peruse and comment on:

http://home.fnal.gov/~yocum/lvs-dr-Oct07/

Thanks in advance,
Dan

--