Re: [lvs-users] no VIP up on real server? was: Re: arp problem with 2.6.

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] no VIP up on real server? was: Re: arp problem with 2.6.X red hat kernels?
From: Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2007 07:01:46 -0700 (PDT)
On Sun, 7 Oct 2007, ipvs user wrote:

> but I coulda swore I read something to that effect,
> because I remember thinking "Note to self: don't use
> iptables on high connection rate systems".

There's a paper by Ratz, referred to in the HOWTO, where he
finds that if the packets have to pass through more than 500
rules, then throughput suffers, but below that, there is no
decrease. Most of the problems people have with iptables
rules are using conntrack, which does bring the network to a
crawl. (I can't imagine myself writing a stack of iptables
rules 500 deep and getting it right.)