Re: [lvs-users] LVS + Database

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] LVS + Database
From: Seth Call <sethcall@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 20:43:38 -0500
If you are set on postgresql + load-balancing, then use bucardo to
implement a master-master postgresql database.

Then, put Haproxy or LVS in front to load balance.

Then, be confused when your application makes a write to one master, and
then selects from another but the data hasn't propagated over.

Ok, fine, then instead implement master-master but do an active/standby.

Then ask yourself why are you using Bucardo just to have active/standby
(which can be done with master/slave + custom scripting or pg-poolII).

Ok, fine, wait until 9.3 postgresql (mid 2013) which pg team says *might*
have native master-master.

Ok, give up on all that.   Just use master/slave, and instead of worrying
about load-balancing, learn how to write good schemas, good queries, use
postgresql 9.1 'unlogged tables' (for 10x faster write performance for
can-lose data), use table partitioning for large tables, use 'WITH
RECURSIVE' to optimize parent/child queries,... or forget optimizing...
just  use postgresql for your relational data but use something like redis
for data that doesn't need powerful SQL-level querying but has high
write/read characteristics.

But I think what everyone is trying to tell you, the path of most
resistance is doing what you say you want.  Academic or not.