Re: IPVS Benchmarking

To: Ray Bellis <rpb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: IPVS Benchmarking
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Lars Marowsky-Bree <lmb@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 10:41:24 +0100
On 2000-01-10T09:25:29,
   Ray Bellis <rpb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:

> It needs to be made more explicit in the documentation that LVS-DR will
> *only* work if you have a different return path.

... or if you have a suitably patched kernel.

> We spent several man days trying to get this to work before figuring out why
> the packets were being dropped, at which point we had no alternative but to
> use LVS-NAT instead.

I agree. We still assume too much knowledge on the network admin side.

> FYI, we have our LVS system working now, with LVS redundancy achieved by
> running OSPF routing (gated) on the LVS-NAT servers and having the VIP
> within the same IP subnet as the RIPs so that IGP routing policies
> automatically determine which LVS router the packets arrive on.

Yes, thats one option. Even better than heartbeat and IPAT, if all your
systems support running a routing protocol.

(In essence, heartbeat & IPAT is nothing but reinventing a subset of the
functionality of a hardened routing protocol like OSPF/RIPv2/EIGRP)

Sincerely,
    Lars Marowsky-Brée

--
Lars Marowsky-Brée