Re: IPVS Benchmarking

To: Joseph Mack <mack@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: IPVS Benchmarking
Cc: Lars Marowsky-Bree <lmb@xxxxxxxxx>, lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Ray Bellis <rpb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 13:51:37 +0000 (GMT)
On Mon, 10 Jan 2000, Joseph Mack wrote:

> > > FYI, we have our LVS system working now, with LVS redundancy achieved by
> > > running OSPF routing (gated) on the LVS-NAT servers and having the VIP
> > > within the same IP subnet as the RIPs so that IGP routing policies
> > > automatically determine which LVS router the packets arrive on.
>
> I can't figure out what you're doing here. From what I know you can't have
> the VIP and the RIPs on the same subnet with VS-NAT. Is gated running on
> the realservers? What is made redundant by your setup - the realservers,
> the director or the whole LVS (director+realservers)?

The VIP merely "pretends" to be on the same subnet as the realservers.  We
just picked an unused address from the subnet used by the realservers and
added that as a virtual interface to the director and to each of the
realservers.

We do run "gated" on the real-servers, but only so that they can pick up
an OSPF default route for non-LVS traffic.  The primary use for OSPF is so
that the "outside" of our network has a preferred inbound router into the
LVS cluster, and that provides redundancy for the directors themselves.
We still have to use an additional monitoring daemon to handle dead
realservers.

Ray.

--
Ray Bellis, MA(Oxon) - Technical Director - community internet plc

Windsor House, 12 High Street, Kidlington, Oxford, OX5 2PJ
tel:  +44 1865 856000   email: ray.bellis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
fax:  +44 1865 856001     web: http://www.community.net.uk/