Re: IPVS Benchmarking

To: Ray Bellis <rpb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: IPVS Benchmarking
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Joseph Mack <mack@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 13:11:39 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 10 Jan 2000, Ray Bellis wrote:

> > I can't figure out what you're doing here. From what I know you can't have
> > the VIP and the RIPs on the same subnet with VS-NAT. Is gated running on
> > the realservers? What is made redundant by your setup - the realservers,
> > the director or the whole LVS (director+realservers)?
>
> The VIP merely "pretends" to be on the same subnet as the realservers.

Sorry I still haven't got it. What does "pretend" mean?

I just looked at the VS-NAT part of my HOWTO where I emphatically declare
that the VIP and the RIPs have to be on a separate network. I realised
that this is only required in test setups where the client is on the same
network as the VIP (ie no router between the client and the VIP) and the
director only has one NIC. In this case packets may be able to go directly
from the realservers to the client even if the director is the default gw
for the realservers if the director has ICMP redirects on (anyone know if
they are on?).

We
> just picked an unused address from the subnet used by the realservers and
> added that as a virtual interface to the director and to each of the
> realservers.

This is a normal VS-NAT setup then, ie not required for OSPF to run?

> We do run "gated" on the real-servers, but only so that they can pick up
> an OSPF default route for non-LVS traffic.

this is for local traffic (which I'm covering by hand coding routes for
local networks)?

> The primary use for OSPF is so
> that the "outside" of our network has a preferred inbound router into the
> LVS cluster, and that provides redundancy for the directors themselves.

So you have redundant LVS's (=director+realservers) or an LVS with
redundant directors? My understading of OSPF is pretty thin - how does
it handle a failed director? How do you move the VIP from one director
to another?

> We still have to use an additional monitoring daemon to handle dead
> realservers.

mon or similar?

Joseph Mack mack@xxxxxxxxxxx