Re: [lvs-users] New to LVS

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [lvs-users] New to LVS
From: Kyle Sparger <ksparger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 11:29:22 -0500 (EST)
> Right now I'd be more interested to find out why REDIRECT is 3 times
> slower than having the VIP on a non-arping device, to see if it can be
> fixed.

Logically, it's just a function of the way the redirect code operates.
I'm no kernel wiz (which means take what I say with a grain of salt), but
the way I am envisioning things here is as follows:

Without redirect:

Ethernet -> TCP/IP -> Application -> TCP/IP -> Ethernet

With redirect:

Ethernet -> TCP/IP -> Firewall/Redirect Code -> TCP/IP -> Application ->
  TCP/IP -> Ethernet

Note that the second TCP/IP may or may not exist, it's merely speculation
on my part, however, it does make some kind of sense.

So, at the very least, you're going through the extra layer of the
firewall/redirect code, and imo, you're probably going through the TCP/IP
stack a second time -- the packet has to be reconstructed, and probably
re-processed by the tcp/ip stack.

That would definatly explain the slowdown, since _every single packet_
received is going to go through these extra steps.

The REDIRECT method is elegant and simple, but apparently, not without
cost.

Thanks,

Kyle Sparger - Senior System Administrator
Dialtone Internet - Extremely Fast Web Systems
(954) 581-0097 - Voice (954) 581-7629 - Fax
ksparger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.dialtoneinternet.net