Re: [lvs-users] New to LVS

To: Doug Bagley <doug@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [lvs-users] New to LVS
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Wensong Zhang <wensong@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 02:13:14 +0800
Doug Bagley wrote:

> But for me, this brings up a slightly different, but interesting
> question: are requests load balanced based on the VIP or the RIP?
> For instance for the "lc" algorithm, is the number of connections
> used in the algorithm the ones from the client to the VIP?  or from
> the Director to a real server?  Looking at the source, it looks like
> each service (VIP) has a list of real servers (destinations), and the
> active connection count is by each RIP in a VIP, not by RIP alone.
> That is, the active connections from one VIP are not counted in the
> active connections for any other VIP.

Yeah, your interception is right.

> It seems to me it would be useful in some cases to use the total number
> of connections to a real server in the load balancing calculation, in
> the case where the real server participates in servicing a number of
> different VIPs.

Yeah, it is true. Sometimes, we need tradeoff between
simplicity/performance and functionality. Let me think more about
this, and probably maximum connection scheduling together together
too. For a rather big server cluster, there may be a dedicated load
balancer for web traffic and another load balancer for mail traffic,
then the two load balancers may need exchange status periodically, it
is rather complicated.

Actually, I just thought that dynamic weight adaption according to
periodical load feedback of each server might solve all the above
problems.

Thanks,

Wensong