Re: [lvs-users] New to LVS

To: Joseph Mack <mack@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [lvs-users] New to LVS
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Doug Bagley <doug@xxxxxxxx>
Date: 15 Feb 2000 19:22:47 -0600
Joseph Mack <mack@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> On 15 Feb 2000, Doug Bagley wrote:
> > Since LVS balances at the IP level, it should have no bearing on
> > name-based virtual web hosting which is done via HTTP/1.1.  I'm
> > assuming that is what this question is about, since it looks like
> > the requirement is to do virtual web hosting with a single IP (which
> > would be one VIP on the Director in this case).
>
> I didn't realise what he was asking. I wrote some stuff in the HOWTO
> about setting up https, which is name-based, but I didn't realise that
> there was named-based and ip-based (is that what it's called?) virtual

Yes, that's what it's called, see:
http://www.apache.org/docs/vhosts/index.html

> web hosting. Is there a non-https (ie regular http) named-based virtual
> web address?

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you mean by web address here.
I don't think it matters to the web server if you use http or https
with virtual hosting of any flavor.

> If so how/where do you set it up in apache? How does the

The web page above says it all better than I can.

> browser call the site (passes the site name along with the connect
> request)?

Name based virtual hosting uses the HTTP/1.1 "Host:" header,
which HTTP/1.1 clients send.  This allows the server to know what
host/domain, the client thinks it is connecting to.  A normal
HTTP request line only has the request path in it, no hostname,
hence the new header.  IP-based virtual hosting works for older
browsers that use HTTP/1.0 and don't send the "Host:" header, and
requires the server to use a separate IP for each virtual domain.

Cheers,
Doug