RE: FW: Multi-site LVS solution

To: "'Joseph Mack'" <mack@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Ed Wiseman'" <edw@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: FW: Multi-site LVS solution
Cc: "'Lvs-Users \(E-mail\)'" <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Ed Wiseman" <edw@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2000 23:02:19 -0400
I currently have one site that has a mix of Windows NT and Solaris web
servers (currently 4 in total) providing located in Toronto, Canada.  In the
works is another site that will likely be located somewhere in the USA (for
strategic business reasons??) and will likely have a similar mix of web
servers.  The Toronto site and the US site will not be connected via the
same ISP so I must assume the I will be dealing with separate subnets.  When
the US site comes online, later this year, I would like to provide load
balancing between the two geographically separated sites.

Will the users have a satisfactory response time/uptime going through the
director to these machines elsewhere?
Currently we host our machines at an ISP with a T3 into the net - I think
they are connected to Sprint.  We would expect to find an ISP to host our
proposed US site with at least the same bandwidth (or more).  I'm hoping
that the LVS solution will be stable and not require many, if any, kicks.

Approximately 10% of the cpu cycles will be https, most will be http with
java apps that will require a persistent connection back to a servlet on a
particular web server.

Simplicity/maintainability is a priority.

Ed