Re: mail farm?

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: mail farm?
Cc: Wensong Zhang <wensong@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, michael_e_brown@xxxxxxxx
From: "Matthew S. Crocker" <matthew@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 07:38:35 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 4 Jun 2001, Joseph Mack wrote:

> Wensong Zhang wrote:
> >
> > Hi Michael,
> >
> > I know that grouping multiple SMTP servers by DNS MX records long time
> > ago. :-)
>
> SMTP servers need access to DNS for reverse name lookup. If they
> are LVS'ed in a VS-DR setup, won't this be a problem?

You only need to make sure you have the proper forward and reverse lookup
set.  We have all our worker real IP's setup as cw1 - cw5 and the lvs
setup as lvsd1 & lvsd2.  The VIP is setup as cluster1, cluster2,
cluster3...

inbound mail to an SMTP server gets load balanced by the LVS but it still
sees the orginal from IP of the sender and can do reverse lookups as
normal.

ourbound mail from an SMTP server makes connections from its real IP
address which can be NAT'd by a firewall or not.  That IP address can also
be reverse looked up

-Matt

Matthew S. Crocker
Vice President / Internet Division         Email: matthew@xxxxxxxxxxx
Crocker Communications                     Phone: (413) 587-3350
PO BOX 710                                 Fax:   (413) 587-3352
Greenfield, MA 01302-0710                  http://www.crocker.com