Re: mail farm?

To: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: mail farm?
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "Matthew S. Crocker" <matthew@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 08:30:49 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 4 Jun 2001, Joseph Mack wrote:

> "normally" (which I guess hasn't been defined yet), the real-servers in a
> VS-DR
> setup have private IPs for the RIPs and hence they can't receive replies
> from calls made to external name servers.
>
> I would also assume that people would  write filter rules to only
> allow packets in and out of the real-servers that belong to the services
> listed in the director's ipvsadm tables.
>
> I take it that your LVS'ed SMTP servers can access external DNS servers,
> either by NAT through the director, or in the case of VS-DR by having
> public IPs and making calls from those IPs to external nameservers
> via the default gw of the real-servers?

We currently have our real servers with public IP addresses.

-Matt
Matthew S. Crocker
Vice President / Internet Division         Email: matthew@xxxxxxxxxxx
Crocker Communications                     Phone: (413) 587-3350
PO BOX 710                                 Fax:   (413) 587-3352
Greenfield, MA 01302-0710                  http://www.crocker.com