Re: mail farm?

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: mail farm?
Cc: matthew@xxxxxxxxxxx
From: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2001 07:43:19 -0400
"Matthew S. Crocker" wrote:

> > SMTP servers need access to DNS for reverse name lookup. If they
> > are LVS'ed in a VS-DR setup, won't this be a problem?
>
> You only need to make sure you have the proper forward and reverse lookup
> set.  We have all our worker real IP's setup as cw1 - cw5 and the lvs
> setup as lvsd1 & lvsd2.  The VIP is setup as cluster1, cluster2,
> cluster3...
>
> inbound mail to an SMTP server gets load balanced by the LVS but it still
> sees the orginal from IP of the sender and can do reverse lookups as
> normal.
>
> ourbound mail from an SMTP server makes connections from its real IP
> address which can be NAT'd by a firewall or not.  That IP address can also
> be reverse looked up

"normally" (which I guess hasn't been defined yet), the real-servers in a VS-DR
setup have private IPs for the RIPs and hence they can't receive replies
from calls made to external name servers.

I would also assume that people would  write filter rules to only
allow packets in and out of the real-servers that belong to the services
listed in the director's ipvsadm tables.

I take it that your LVS'ed SMTP servers can access external DNS servers,
either by NAT through the director, or in the case of VS-DR by having
public IPs and making calls from those IPs to external nameservers
via the default gw of the real-servers?