RE: problems with ipvs 1.0.1 and kernel 2.4.18

To: "'lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: problems with ipvs 1.0.1 and kernel 2.4.18
From: Paul Lantinga <prl@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 16:55:01 -0500
Since the main ext3 issue in this thread appears fully debugged, I'll
toos out a few kernelly comments:
> 1) downloaded and untarred kernel 2.4..18 in /usr/src
> 2) applied the linux-2.4.18-ipvs-1.0.1.patch

If you want to keep your previous kernel source, I would untar it to
/usr/local/src/ or some other similar locale.  Newer kernel releases
untar their contents to a directory named simply ?linux?.  Older kernel
tar archives would untar to a directory containing the release version
in the name, such as ?linux-2.4.9?.   If you leave your previous kernel
and its source intact, you can still fall back to it if you have
problems with a newer kernel.  Renaming the new kernel source directory
from ?linux? to ?linux-<version>? will help avoid this problem.  Of
course, you would then need to add the symlink /usr/src/linux pointing
to the new source directory.

> 3) cd /usr/src/linux
> 4) did "make mrproper"
> 5) "make menuconfig"
> 6) selected all the options for kernel 2.4.x as shown on the
> mini HowTo guide
> 7) "make dep"
> 8) "make clean"
> 9) "make bzImage"
> 10)  "make modules"
> 11)  "make modules_install"
> 12)  "make install"
> 13)  "cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18"
> 14) updated lilo.conf

When I run "make install" it does not only steps 13 and 14, but it also
copies the system.map file too.  It doesn't *hurt* to do it, but it's a
bit redundant - and repetitive too.  It might even do setep 15 for you,
but I'm not so sure.  anyone?

> 15) ran "lilo"
> 16) reboot

As a final comment - save your .config file somewhere for use on 'redo
the kernel days', that is, unless you really like surfing menuconfig
each time.  ;)

Clue-by-four me as needed.

Paul LANtinga