RE: High Availability

To: "'lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: High Availability
Cc: 'Tinu Patel' <tinu.patel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'mack@xxxxxxxxxxxx'" <mack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Peter Mueller <pmueller@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 12:54:54 -0700
> > I have a test LVS system running using NAT.  So far things have been
> > working really well.  I want to upgrade the system so that
> I will have 2
> > load balancers using mon, fake and the coda file system.  I was
> > wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to how I should approach
> > this.
>
> Ultra monkey, using Linux-HA is the best tested of these.
>
> Another one in development is the keepalived, vrrpd setup
> of Alexandre Cassen.

Joe, do you know if ultramonkey is still under development?  Last release is
april 2001!  Can we expect a 1.x-LVS update?

Tinu until someone tells you that updates are forthcoming I'd consider vrrpd
to be the better choice.  If you want a second option I think mon+heartbeat
would be a good option.  Fake has been integrated into heartbeat for quite
some time.

Note #1 - we use ultramonkey here.  so far the only issues have been a
failed HD on one of the boxes and whitespace issues on "ldirectord.cf".

Note #2 - vrrpd seems to be interesting and Alexandre (project author) is
extraordinarily active in patching issues...  since it supports features
like active/active clusters I expect to see it become the default HA option
for LVS.

Hope that helps.

Peter