RE: High Availability

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: High Availability
From: Alexandre Cassen <Alexandre.Cassen@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 22:29:13 +0200
Hi all,

Joe, do you know if ultramonkey is still under development?  Last release is
april 2001!  Can we expect a 1.x-LVS update?

Tinu until someone tells you that updates are forthcoming I'd consider vrrpd
to be the better choice.  If you want a second option I think mon+heartbeat
would be a good option.  Fake has been integrated into heartbeat for quite
some time.

Note #1 - we use ultramonkey here.  so far the only issues have been a
failed HD on one of the boxes and whitespace issues on "ldirectord.cf".

Note #2 - vrrpd seems to be interesting and Alexandre (project author) is
extraordinarily active in patching issues...  since it supports features
like active/active clusters I expect to see it become the default HA option
for LVS.

Thanks peter, I would recommand using keepalived VRRP framework instead of vrrpd (the standalone release : http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/~acassen/vrrpd-0.6.tar.gz).

vrrpd-0.6.tar.gz is limited and must be considered as a proof of concept (this was my starting point enhancing VRRP). Keepalived since the last patch can be used in many setups supporting low-level support (MII, ...) the takeover is less that 3 secs... I need to update the paper on the website to explain in details the design and performance.

I am currently finishing the link between healthcheck framework and VRRP framework, that way VRRP events will be able to interact with healthcheck framework. Keep in mind that Keepalived must be considered as a routing software using strong and low-level scheduling framework, this gave Keepalived something like "realtime handling". The Keepalived framework is mainly inspired from zebra, I have spent a lot of time reading the entire zebra source code to start a strong work on HA for LVS.

I hope I will have the time to release the new version soon.

Anyway I will not be hurted if you prefer another tool :)

Best regards,
Alexandre