Re: High Availability

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: High Availability
From: Horms <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 09:51:53 +0900
On Mon, Apr 15, 2002 at 12:54:54PM -0700, Peter Mueller wrote:
> > > I have a test LVS system running using NAT.  So far things have been
> > > working really well.  I want to upgrade the system so that
> > I will have 2
> > > load balancers using mon, fake and the coda file system.  I was
> > > wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to how I should approach
> > > this.
> >
> > Ultra monkey, using Linux-HA is the best tested of these.
> >
> > Another one in development is the keepalived, vrrpd setup
> > of Alexandre Cassen.
>
> Joe, do you know if ultramonkey is still under development?  Last release is
> april 2001!  Can we expect a 1.x-LVS update?

Ultra Monkey is somewhat out of date, supporting RH 6.x, and 2.2.x kernels.
I have been considering updating this given recent requests for
a free alternative to do Load Balancing and/or HA straight out of the
box.

As we are talking about this I'd like to do a bit of market research
to find out what people think Ultra Monkey should do. In particular
would people be happy with a set of Debian packages (yes, I'm using
Debian instead of a Red Hat variant these days) and documentation
or is there a need for something else?

--
Horms