RE: HTTP(s) persistence

To: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: HTTP(s) persistence
From: "Mark Weaver" <mark@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 14:10:05 -0000
> I would expect that it would be another order of magnitude more difficult
> for MS developers. Perhaps it would be impossible in all but exceptional
> cases.
:)

> > that functions as a drop in replacement for the
> > IIS session components.
> want to give me a one paragraph lesson on IIS session components?
> Is this an API that the application running on the webserver calls?
> Why doesn't the application write it's own session management data
> to disk without consulting IIS?

The default ASP (= MS web scripting) sessions simply use a cookie and stores
session state in server memory.  The session is a dictionary object, and you
just store a bunch of key-value pairs.  Since the standard session object
stores data in memory, it is not a lot of use for /robust/ load balancing.

.NET adds a component that stores session in a database.  Such a component
is pretty trivial to write, we have had one for a number of years.  Storing
on disk is a good option when there is no database, but since most of the
sites that we have are pretty dynamic (i.e. most pages are generated from
database calls), storing the session state in the DB is a good bet.  I can
probably release the source code for this if anyone is interested.

Mark