RE: ldirectord and DNS

Subject: RE: ldirectord and DNS
From: Tim Hasson <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 12:47:28 -0800
Hi,

Thanks Peter for the pointers.

There's a problem that tinydns and dnscache only listen on one ip on which
they are configured.

So on the real servers, I have IPs 10.0.0.2 and 10.0.0.3 assigned to the lo0
interface (freebsd).

How will dns.monitor (Mon) running on the primary loadbalancer reach the
tinydns or dnscache service on the real servers?

In fact, I have two DNSCache VIPs in ldirectord.cf that are accessible from
all machines except the loadbalancer itself. Therefore, I cannot resolve from
the loadbalancer.

This is because tinydns/dnscache will refuse to answer queries on any dest
address other than the one it is configured for. i.e. TinyDNS/DNSCache are
configured to listen on the vip, but will refuse to answer queries destined
the real ips.

There are patches for this, but it's also a production environment.

Thanks,
Tim