Re: ldirectord and DNS

Subject: Re: ldirectord and DNS
From: Tim Hasson <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 13:47:53 -0800
Quoting Joseph Mack:

> Your DNS server can only listen on one IP, the VIP.
> Mon running on the director can't query processes bound
> to the VIP on the realservers, so it usually queries
> the process bound to the RIP, and hopefully this is an indication
> of the state of the process bound to the VIP.

That's correct.

> Can you instead have mon on the director [rs]sh to the RIP and
> run dns.monitor on the realserver?

It's possible. But I already use ssh w/ rsa for other administration purposes,
so I don't want to stress out sshd on the real servers. I wouldn't trust rsh
for security.

The funny thing is I just realized that ldirectord on the LB lists both real
servers for the 53/udp service as up, regardless or not they are running.
I even restarted ldirectord to see if it realizes that the 2nd one is off, and
it doesn't.

So does this mean that ldirectord UDP checks don't work? Or is it just not
designed to handle UDP services?

Regards,
Tim