Re: Connection lost after running rc.lvs_dr script

Subject: Re: Connection lost after running rc.lvs_dr script
From: "Jeff Kilbride" <jeff@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 21:12:03 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Joe,

Actually, no, I'm not very glad my director, and now it seems my
realservers, can't connect to the outside world after running the setup
script. While I understand the need for security, I have the ability to
secure my machines without completely severing them from the internet.

I would suggest that this behavior at least be modifiable in the config.
In my case, I am trying to load balance two machines that are already up
and running under round robin DNS. After getting LVS up and running
correctly, I will need to change the DNS for their services to the new VIP
so the director can take over. I'd like them to keep responding as is
until the load balancing is up and running. I don't have the luxury of
setting LVS up in a clean test environment on unused servers, where
changes to the system have no effect on real services.

I have read the link you provided below and while it makes sense for a
setup where the director and realservers don't need to talk to the world,
my question now is: will adding the default gateway back to the director
and realservers actually *hurt* anything in the LVS setup? Given that I'm
using a two network setup, shouldn't LVS work correctly for the load
balanced services even if I'm providing other services (on a different IP
from the VIP/RIP) to the public on the director/realservers? Or am I
missing some arcane ARP/network config problem?

Thanks,
--jeff