Re: Connection lost after running rc.lvs_dr script

Subject: Re: Connection lost after running rc.lvs_dr script
From: Malcolm Turnbull <malcolm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 08:53:50 +0100
Jeff Kilbride wrote:

Hi Joe,

Actually, no, I'm not very glad my director, and now it seems my
realservers, can't connect to the outside world after running the setup
script. While I understand the need for security, I have the ability to
secure my machines without completely severing them from the internet.

Um, as I understand it the setup script is mainly for testing, as you will logicaly need a health checking daemon in combination with LVS to make it more usesfull than round robin DNS (i.e. use ldirectord,keepalived or mon.)

If you want your real servers to be accessible as normal without infrastructure changes either use DR or TUN mode that don't change your topology. OR read the instructions about MASQ/NAT mode, by default LVS only forwards packets on the VIP if you want access to the internet or access to the RIPs from the internet you will obviously need to put some firewall rules in your new LVS/NAT/Firewall which is what you've effectivley created.

As far as I'm aware this is what other commercial vendors F5/Foundry/CISCO etc also do with their products, and also why most people find them a bugger to test before setting up live (i.e. you must have a test environment).

--
Regards,

Malcolm Turnbull.

Loadbalancer.org Limited
Office: +44 (0)870 443 8779
Mobile: +44 (0)7715 770523
http://www.loadbalancer.org/

" When a single point of failure is not an option"

Why not try our online demonstration <http://www.loadbalancer.org/demo.html> ? Or get answers to common questions <http://www.loadbalancer.org/fud.html> ?