Re: Connection lost after running rc.lvs_dr script

Subject: Re: Connection lost after running rc.lvs_dr script
From: "Jeff Kilbride" <jeff@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 09:23:47 -0700 (PDT)
> Um, as I understand it the setup script is mainly for testing, as you
> will logicaly need a health checking daemon in combination with LVS to
> make it more usesfull than round robin DNS (i.e. use
> ldirectord,keepalived or mon.)

I understand what you're saying, but any of the scheduling algorithms in
LVS will make it much more useful than round robin DNS, with or without
the health checking daemon, won't they? Understand that I'm moving from a
situation where one box is swamped and the other mostly idle under round
robin DNS. If I can first balance the load between the two boxes, it will
be a major step forward. I'll add health checking and automatic director
takeover when I have a chance.

> If you want your real servers to be accessible as normal without
> infrastructure changes either use DR or TUN mode that don't change your
> topology. OR read the instructions about MASQ/NAT mode, by default LVS
> only forwards packets on the VIP if you want access to the internet or
> access to the RIPs from the internet you will obviously need to put some
> firewall rules in your new LVS/NAT/Firewall which is what you've
> effectivley created.

I'm using DR mode. I just manually put the default gateway back on the
real servers and everything is fine.

Thanks,
--jeff