Re: Connection lost after running rc.lvs_dr script

Subject: Re: Connection lost after running rc.lvs_dr script
From: "Jeff Kilbride" <jeff@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 09:09:16 -0700 (PDT)
Ok, thanks for the input. After playing with it for a while, I have it
working for http and smtp services. I am running the VIP on an alias, so
the IP associated with the default gateway on the director was not the
same as the VIP. As it turns out, not having a default gateway on the
director is more of an inconvenience (not being able to ssh directly in)
than anything else and I am fine without it. However, I do need the
realservers to connect to the world at least until I get all their
services load balanced. I will read the 3-Tier link you sent below.

My only problem now is with the DNS services I am trying to load balance.
For some reason, it's not working while http and smtp are fine. I can run
DNS queries from the director across the local network to each realserver
and get a good response, but when I try to access DNS on the VIP (using
"dig @VIP somedomain.com") I get a server timeout. The only difference I
see is that DNS uses UDP, but I have both TCP and UDP domain services
setup in ipvsadm:

Prot LocalAddress:Port Scheduler Flags
  -> RemoteAddress:Port           Forward Weight ActiveConn InActConn
TCP  vip2:http rr
  -> rs2:http                     Route   1      0          0
  -> rs1:http                     Route   1      0          0
TCP  vip2:smtp wlc
  -> rs2:smtp                     Route   1      12         0
  -> rs1:smtp                     Route   1      12         0
UDP  vip2:smtp wlc
  -> rs2:smtp                     Route   1      0          0
  -> rs1:smtp                     Route   1      0          0
TCP  vip2:domain wlc
  -> rs2:domain                   Route   1      0          0
  -> rs1:domain                   Route   1      0          0
TCP  vip1:domain wlc
  -> rs2:domain                   Route   1      0          0
  -> rs1:domain                   Route   1      0          0
UDP  vip1:domain wlc
  -> rs2:domain                   Route   1      0          0
  -> rs1:domain                   Route   1      0          0
UDP  vip2:domain wlc
  -> rs2:domain                   Route   1      0          0
  -> rs1:domain                   Route   1      0          0

Is there any reason why DNS would act differently?

Lastly, I wasn't trying to start a war on how to secure a server or
criticize your script writing. I was following the steps in the mini-HOWTO
setting up my director, on a remote ssh session, and as soon as I ran the
setup script I lost connectivity to the box. It was confusing and I
thought I'd done something wrong, but I didn't see any errors in the
output. I would suggest putting something in the mini-HOWTO that says the
default gateway will be removed and remote connections will be lost after
running the script.

Thanks,
--jeff