ipvs_syncmaster brings cpu to 100%

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: ipvs_syncmaster brings cpu to 100%
From: Luca Maranzano <liuk001@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 18:06:14 +0200
Hello all,

I've set up a Linux Virtual Server on 2 Debian 3.1 boxes with the
following software:

- kernel 2.6.11-smp (1 CPU with hyper threading)
- heartbeat 1.2.3
- ldirectord 1.2.3
- ipvsadm 1.24+1.21-1

I need to set up a Local Director to balance a bunch of Windows 2000
Servers where clients connect via RDP (3389/tcp).

In order to support failover and failback I'have configured ipvsadm in
the following way on both servers:

/sbin/ipvsadm --start-daemon master --mcast-interface eth5
/sbin/ipvsadm --start-daemon backup --mcast-interface eth5

and it seems to work as expected, connections get synchronized on the
slave from the master. The only problem is that the CPU load is always
over 2.00 (when ipvs_syncmaster and ipvs_syncbackup runs both), is
always 1.00 if I only run ipvs_syncmaster on one node and if I stop
the daemons it drops down to 0.0. So I'm sure that the ipvsadm daemon
is eating all CPU time.

Is this a known bug? The systems is still responsive but this high
load looks really strange to me. May be someone has experienced a
similar load with a similar setup?

TIA.
Kind regards,
Luca