Re: ipvs_syncmaster brings cpu to 100%

To: liuk001@xxxxxxxxx, <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: ipvs_syncmaster brings cpu to 100%
From: Horms <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 18:31:33 +0900
On Fri, Sep 09, 2005 at 12:04:01PM +0200, Luca Maranzano wrote:
> Thanks to all for the replies.
>
> For Bruce Rosenthal: I cannot strace the ipvs_syncmaster since it is a
> kernel thread and strace IMVHO doesn't work.
>
> I'm doing some tests with Debian kernel 2.6.8-2-686-smp and the
> daemons starts and CPU load is very low (near 0.0) as it should be.
>
> For Horms: I've tryed also non-SMP kernel 2.6.11 (always debian) and
> the result is the same (100% cpu hog). May be I should try to disable
> Hyperthreading to be sure that it is not the cause. Are you using a
> Debian Kernel 2.6.11 or some other version? (Debian kernels are
> slightly different from stock Linus' kernels)

Doesn't using a non-SMP kernel disable hyperthreading?

I've tried Debian's linux-image-2.6.12-1-686-smp on the following system, and
I can't see the problem at all. Ditto for linux-image-2.6.11-2-686
(which seems to disable hyperthreading).

--
Horms

processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 15
model           : 2
model name      : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.40GHz
stepping        : 9
cpu MHz         : 2401.072
cache size      : 512 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 2
core id         : 0
cpu cores       : 1
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 2
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov
pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe cid xtpr
bogomips        : 4751.36

processor       : 1
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 15
model           : 2
model name      : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.40GHz
stepping        : 9
cpu MHz         : 2401.072
cache size      : 512 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 2
core id         : 0
cpu cores       : 1
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 2
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov
pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe cid xtpr
bogomips        : 4784.12