Re: Hardware requirements for an LVS director

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Hardware requirements for an LVS director
From: Graeme Fowler <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 10:16:33 +0100
On Thu 13 Oct 2005 09:58:45 BST , mike <mike503@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
wow. so with current-gen hardware like amd64 chips or even intel p4's,
and a gig of ram, i should be able to push at least 600m per month,
which comes out (if my math is right this late at night) to 231
requests per second; i'd love to double or triple that though, if
possible.

Just looking round my kit...

"Busiest" (word used advisedly!) system is a DNS system which is currently running between 120-150 LVS conns/seq (equates to about 600 queries/sec). It's a P4 3.0GHz, 2GB RAM. Those rates are equivalent roughly to between 300 and 400 million conns/month, or about 1.5 billion queries/month.

Connection table holds just over 45000 entries (right now).

'free' reports:

[root@frontend01 ~]# free
Mem:       2075344    1782160     293184          0     131804    1378988
-/+ buffers/cache:     271368    1803976
Swap:      4208928          0    4208928

This is also running a MySQL server full of DNS data, so the bulk of the used memory is the query cache for MySQL.

Whichever way I skin this, it isn't breaking a sweat - 1 minute load rarely exceeds 0.5. I don't yet know how far I could push this, but I'll know in the next few months how it copes with bigger load as I'll be moving more authoritative addresses over to it.

Graeme