Re: Rare ARP problem

Subject: Re: Rare ARP problem
From: Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 16:08:04 -0800 (PST)
On Tue, 15 Nov 2005, Troy Hakala wrote:

Hmmm... then there's something I'm missing... so the real servers don't arp
the director because the packets from the director contain the MAC of the
director already, right? Makes sense. Then why did this happen?

I don't know whether you're doing LVS-NAT or LVS-DR here. I assume you're doing LVS-DR because you're talking about the arp problem.

In LVS-DR the realservers don't send packets to the director, they only send them to the router (which is not the director). The realservers don't have to know the director exists, as they don't send packets to the director.

On setup, the director has to know the MAC address of the realservers, which it finds from the RIP. I don't really know, but I would assume once ipvsadm has been run, you could take down the RIPs and the LVS would still function.

I didn't try to ping the real server from the director, but the director
couldn't use the real server in the load-balancing (connections were 0)
until I manually did an arp -s on the real server.

This was why I thought you were running LVS-NAT. Never seen this, even with LVS-NAT. You are running the initial setup without any iptables rules or anything funny on the network?

generator at http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtml Homepage http://www.austintek.com/ It's GNU/Linux!