Re: Rare ARP problem

Subject: Re: Rare ARP problem
From: Troy Hakala <troy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 08:22:18 -0800
On 11/15/05, Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Nov 2005, Troy Hakala wrote:
>
> > In an LVS-NAT setup, on a rare occassion, the ARP cache of
> > one of the real servers gets the wrong MAC address for the
> > director, I assume after a re-ARP. It gets the MAC of eth0
> > instead of eth1. It's easy to fix with an arp -s, but I'd
> > like to understand why this happens.
>
> did a failover occur in the middle here? If so, the device
> that takes over an IP has to send-arp (or similar) to let
> other devices know that the IP has moved.

No, a failover wasn't involved. The real server does get a new MAC address,
just the wrong one. It seems odd that the director answering the ARP request
gives out the MAC address for the wrong NIC. Shouldn't it know that the the
VIP is for the gateway NIC and give out that MAC address? I guess the other
question is why is the real server losing it's ARP cache when the other real
servers don't? How long does linux keep it's cache and/or when does it
decide to re-ARP?