Re: SSH health checking with ldirectord

Subject: Re: SSH health checking with ldirectord
From: Sal Tepedino <stepedino@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2007 09:16:52 -0500
On Fri, 2007-03-02 at 09:07 +0100, Roberto Nibali wrote:
> Does the check_http (negotiate) health check not work for you? How does
> your ldirectord configuration look like?

Would an http check work for SSH? Doesn't seem like it would. SSH spits
out the version string when you connect, then, I believe the client
spits out it's identification string (The RFC doesn't really say what
that should be) then they go to a 'packet based binary protocol', so I
don't think I can parse the return from the server at that point,
assuming I can figure out what a correct client string is (perhaps with
packet sniffing)

> Well, it does not seem to be a message created/logged directly by
> ldirectord, but rather something like the identd. If you don't want this
> message, you have two options:

Well, it's ssh logging through syslog because ssh sees it as unusual and
worthy of noting that someone connected to the port then dropped the
connection. I would normally want these messages, just not from the
directors. I guess I'll read up on syslog filtering. Never needed to do
it before, so I never even thought of this option. Thanks!

--
Sal Tepedino <stepedino@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>