Re: [lvs-users] Re: IPVS Benchmarking

To: Julian Anastasov <uli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [lvs-users] Re: IPVS Benchmarking
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Joseph Mack <mack@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 07:15:45 -0500 (EST)
On Sun, 23 Jan 2000, Julian Anastasov wrote:

>       The wrong in your setup is that in VS/NAT mode the Director is
> used with 1 NIC. Assume that the requests from the client and the answers
> from the real servers use the same link twice:

It's a good idea to test VS-NAT with 2 NICs to optimise the hardware for
each type of LVS. For my first test I used one NIC so that I could compare
VS-NAT and VS-DR on the same hardware.

> What about testing input requests with size = 10-20% the size
> of the answers (httpd traffic), what is the difference between VS/NAT and
> VS/DR even when the Director is with one NIC?

yes all of these tests need to be done too.

>       What means throughput 120 Mbps for the real servers in the table?
> Is the limit 100Mbps for the NICs? Input+Output in Full-Duplex ? I don't
> understand something in this table. You report that the throughput from
> the client to the real server (directly?) is 50Mbps. If the size of the
> request = size of the answer, the max throughput can be 50Mbps (reported
> in the real server, half-duplex).

Yes this is a puzzle and I don't understand it myself. The connection
client-director is 70Mbps by netpipe for a single netpipe run. I assume
that means 70Mbps in each direction and that the total bit rate is
140Mbps. I assume that the cards are all limited to 100Mbps by all having
to use the same clock speed so that they can talk to each other. I can
imagine that some cards might have slower average throughput because of
buffer filling etc, but it's hard to imagine a situation where the speed
would go above 100Mbps. I don't understand then why the client then can
register a total of 120Mbps on netpipe (6 windows each registering
20Mbps). I should do the same test connecting the client directly to the
director running 6 netpipe sessions.

Do you know if a 100Mpbs NIC is supposed to be able to receive at 100Mbps
at the same time as it is sending 100Mpbs? Does an 8-port switch have 4
pairs of connections in both directions at 100Mbps (total 800Mpbs) or only
4 connections with each connection being in 1 direction (total 400Mbps)?

Joseph Mack mack@xxxxxxxxxxx