NEWBIE QUESTION: MAIL server in cluster

To: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: NEWBIE QUESTION: MAIL server in cluster
From: "Jason Smith" <jxsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 11:29:44 -0400
Ok I have read through a bit of the documentation and the mail list . . .

BUT before I really get started with this project I need to make sure my
idea is valid . . .

I am involved in maintaing a service that currently supports about 20,000
email users . . . new email users are being added at a rate of about 150
people per day . . . currently the server is starting to feel the effects,
but it does have some room to grow (2nd CPU, more RAM, etc) . . . but I want
to maintain a lead time WAY ahead of the email resource curve . . .

The services we want to provide are POP, IMAP, and web based retrival of
email . . . and of course also provide web and ftp services utilizing a
cluster . . . I know the www and ftp issues are well covered (they are
discussed in the docs I have read) . . . but can LVS handle any type TCP
connection? such as IMAP and POP? . . . (given the users email directory
only resides in one common directory via NFS or some such solution) . . .

Is this a valid situation to implement LVS?

More to the point . . . is anyone currently providing such services and if
so can you please provide a few pointers, things to watch out for, issues???

Thanks
JX
-out