Re: NEWBIE QUESTION: MAIL server in cluster

To: Jason Smith <jxsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: NEWBIE QUESTION: MAIL server in cluster
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2000 12:23:56 -0400
Jason Smith wrote:
> but can LVS handle any type TCP
> connection? such as IMAP and POP? . . . (given the users email directory
> only resides in one common directory via NFS or some such solution) . . .

yes, as long as the files the service(s) see are identical from all the
realservers. For mail you have to use nfs from a single server.
Remember to turn off identd (auth) for sendmail/qmail (it's in the HOWTO -
and see a thread starting 25 Mar called

"poor performance using hidden arp method"

People have done it with sendmail and another with qmail. Someone even
gave performance figures recently but I can't put my hands on them (and
I'm the one who's suppposed to keep track of this sort of thing).